In the 1960s, Mr Ugo Francioli arranged the documents kept in his Villimpenta home and relating to two of his illustrious ancestors: Giovanni Nuvolari and Carlo Francioli, leading figures ofRead More
Between the late 1820s and early 1830s, the illustrious local citizen and Austrian Consul in Egypt, Giuseppe Acerbi, managed to amass this significant collection of archaeological materials. In 1840, heRead More
The main purpose of the park is to retain the balance between human presence and anthropic activities, in order to preserve the natural environment, the landscape and the culture thatRead More
Since 1928, the Museum has been located in Palazzo Affaitati, ancient residence of a family who had important European trade connections. The remarkable 16th century architecture was integrated by majorRead More
Andreas Hofer (San Leonardo in Passiria, 22 November 1767 - Mantua, 20 February 1810) was an innkeeper and a horse dealer, then a Tyrolean patriot against French occupying force.
The Centre is located into the cultural centre, together with the Teatro Giacometti and the Biblioteca Comunale (the local library), under the XVI century Gonzaga-style arcade built by Bertazzolo.
Also known as the Teatro Scientifico or Teatro Accademico, it was founded by the members of the Accademia Virgiliana and used as a theatre for performances, scientific experiments and doctrinalRead More
House of the Verdi Family where the composer was born and where he spent his early yearsRead More
Also called Forte Centrale or Forte Magnaguti, this was built in 1859, along with Forte Noyon in Motteggiana, on the right bank of the River Po, and the Rocchetta andRead More
Camino Castle is located in the Monferrato hills, in the north-west of Italy, approximately one hour away from Milano, Genova and Torino. Surrounded by ancient woods, the Castle overlooks the Monferrato foothills which are covered in trees and vineyards. Camino Castle dates back to the 11th Century, and as a result of its strategic location, the castle was not only an ideal observation post, but also a refuge for the people living on the plains. Thanks to its architectural renovations and its excellent state of preservation, Camino Castle is not only one of a kind in its genre, but also one of the most beautiful castles in Italy.Read More
Designed in the 17th century, it was originally made of beaten earth. In 1813 was paved thanks to a testamentary bequest left by nobleman Leopoldo Molossi, and obtained the current appearance.Read More
Castel d'Ario Castle was a strategic element of a defensive system into the Mantuan territory, together with Castelbelforte and Villimpenta Castles, placed on the borderline with Veneto. Castel D'Ario Castle represents one of the main medieval fenced-in castles with a pentagonal shape. Five towers are visible, included that one at the entrance, where people can still see the location where there was a portcullis and the ruins of the opposite ravelin. A significant restoration of the praetorian Palace at the end of the XX century has brought to life frescos at the walls of the first floor, with the escutcheons of the Scaligeris, the lords from Verona, owners of the Castle for twenty years in the second half of the XIV century. One of the towers inside the Castle is called Torre della Fame; the tower was called like this because in the middle of the XIX century some skeletons were found out in this place; probably they belonged to members of Pico della Mirandola and Bonacolsi families, locked up and starved here. A headstone on the castle door reminds to this event.Read More
Castel d’Ario Castle was a strategic element of a defensive system into the Mantuan territory, together with Castelbelforte and Villimpenta Castles, placed on the borderline with Veneto.
The Historical Archive of the Chamber of Commerce, that owns rich historical-economical documents dating from the 14th to the 19th century, also has an educational and museum function thanks toRead More
In 1624, the noble jurist G. Pietro Ala from Cremona commissioned, next to the church, on the area where once was a graveyard, the chapel called Loreto Sanctuary, as itRead More