Cultural Heritage

Church of St Gervasio and Protasio, Mantua

Nearby via Trento, you can still see the XII century Romanesque bell tower and Romanesque and Renaissance remains on the church side wall. The neoclassical façade (1836) was designed by

Read More

Church of St Girolamo

The parish church is dedicated to St Jerome, priest and Doctor of the Church. It was built from scratch by Duke Guglielmo Gonzaga, on the site of an old tower

Read More

Church of St Giuseppe

Erected in 1962, this new church is a significant octagonal construction with a central plan and arranged on two levels. The upper church is entered up two large flights of

Read More

Church of St Maurizio

This overlooks a small open space on the corner of Via Chiassi and Via Viani. It was built for the Theatine Order in 1609, to a design by the architect

Read More

Church of St. Agata

An 18C parish church featuring an imposing cycle of frescoes painted by Giorgio Anselmi of Verona in 1792-1793.
The artist (also responsible for the Sala dei Fiumi in Palazzo Ducale, the

Read More

Church of St. Bartolomeo Apostolo

Commenced in the second half of the 17C and completed in 1687, the present church replaced an older parish church that stood outside the village, near the old castle. In

Read More

Church of St. Bartolomeo Apostolo

This church was rebuilt in 1732 from the foundations and in the centre of town to a design by Giovanni Maria Borsotto from Ticino. It features a fairly complex and

Read More

Church of St. Benedetto Abbot

It seems that this was one of the first churches built on the orders of Matilda of Tuscany, in 1082, who then gave it to the Benedictines; but they do

Read More

Church of St. Biagio in Zello

This small church dedicated to St Blaise is mentioned in a document of 1279. It conserves votive frescoes stylistically similar to those of Pieve di Coriano, executed by local artists

Read More

Church of St. Filippo Neri

The parish of San Filippo Neri in Borgo Chiesa Nuova has a recent history, only having been built in 1978.

Read More

Church of St. Fiorentino Martire

This is one of the most ancient monuments in Basso Mantovano. It first appears in documents in 1059, but it seems to be really older.
Its Latin Cross layout and

Read More

Church of St. Francesco

Construction dates from 1304 but the Austrians suppressed it in 1782 and converted it to a military arsenal. Later, in 1944, overhead bombing destroyed the old building.
The church was rebuilt

Read More

Church of St. Maria Nascente

This was built in 1664 and the presbytery subsequently extended between the late 19C and the early years of 20C. The present facade, two tiered with double pilasters, decorations in

Read More

Church of St. Pio X

This recently constructed (1955) parish church is in the heart of the Valletta Paiolo residential district. It was dedicated to St Pius X, Supreme Pontiff, in 1903. Canonised in 1954,

Read More

Church of St. Sisto II Pope and Martyr

This parish church is preceded by a large semicircular flight of steps. An altarpiece in the choir by Felice Campi celebrates St Sixtus and dates from 1780.
At the entrance to

Read More

Church of St. Tommaso Apostolo

This parish church, built by Davide Terzani di Laino in 1768-1785, features outstanding architecture and an elegant selection of artistic stuccowork.
The carved walnut choir was brought from the demolished church

Read More

Church of the Assunzione della Beata Vergine Maria

This X century structure was also a Benedictine monastery; Matilda of Tuscany assigned Santa Croce in Sermide to this church, then she enlarged it and aggregated it to Polirone abbey

Read More

City Museum of the Peasant World

It has been arranged in a farmhouse with a typical closed shape, with all buildings surrounding the square farmyard. The manor and the bailiff’s house stand on one side, the

Read More

Codogno, Collegiate of Saint Biagio

A chapel devoted to Saint Biagio is first documented in 1205. No trace is left of this pristine building. In 1491 the church was completely rebuilt with a Renaissance taste

Read More

Complex of the Torriana

This residence with main house, church and other buildings, dated 1650, reflects the influence of Giulio Romano.
The church is the most important architectural building, with an entrance loggia and staircases.

Read More