Cultural Heritage

Numismatic Museum - BAM Foundation

Museum of Numismatics: with its 2160 pieces in gold, silver and bronze the coin collection of Banca Agricola Mantovana is the most complete collection in the world, along with that

Read More

Oratory of San Pietro

It was built in X century as a baptismal chapel, as stated in a document of 966. In XII century it became the church of the adjoining Benedictine monastery. In

Read More

Oratory of San Rocco

St. Rocco is the patron of plague victims. This baroque oratory was built a few years after the 1576 pestilence, as a part of a major religious complex.
In the

Read More

Oratory of St Andrea di Ghisione

Sant'Andrea oratory in Ghisione village is the parish artistic treasure; it stands where once was a Roman villa. It is an original terracotta Romanesque building with three apses. In XV

Read More

Palazzo Ducale, Revere

The ducal palace was originally a Modena fortress, which was built in 1125 and later conquered by Mantuans

Read More

Palazzo Te, Mantua

Palazzo Te, Mantua

Palazzo Te is Giulio Romano's masterpiece in Mantua; it was built (1525-1535) as a leisure residence, on the orders of Federico II Gonzaga. Great artists, such

Read More

Paolo Gorini’s anatomy collection

Paolo Gorini’s anatomy collection Piazza Ospitale 10 c/o ASL della Provincia di Lodi Tel. 0371/374569 Dott. Alberto Carli - Cell. 349/3243921 Located at the heart of the old hospital, on

Read More

Parish church of Santa Croce del Lagurano

Santa Croce – id est Holy Cross – church bears sign of an XI century hermitage. Its apse, bell tower and layout are Romanesque, but it was consecrated only in

Read More

Parish church of St. Lorenzo Diacono e Martire, Pegognaga

Pegognaga appears in documents as a land estate in 877, and as a parish of Reggio Emilia diocese in 980; San Lorenzo parish was likely known as San Lorenzo di

Read More

Pietole fort

This stronghold, built to defend Mantua in the early 19C, was partially destroyed by an explosion in May 1917. The French and Austrians incorporated the fort into the great fortifications

Read More

Pizzighettone,Circle of walls

They are a rare example of military fortification conceived in the Middles Ages, starting from the 12th century, and continuously renovated and improved between the 16th and 19th century, in

Read More

Po river II World War museum

This is a memorial centre about II World War events along the Po, the great river.
It retains movies, pictures, documents and relics from 1944 (first air raids) to April 1945

Read More

Po river Museum

This old fortress was converted to an elegant ducal residence by the Marchese of Mantua, Ludovico II Gonzaga, who commissioned the Tuscan architect Luca Fancelli to execute it.
The demo-ethno-anthropological museum

Read More

Polirone Basilica, San Benedetto Po

Today's basilica is still attesting of Giulio Romano's genius and summing up the most important moments in Polirone's history.
From 1540 to 1545, Giulio built again the basilica without

Read More

Polirone town museum

Founded in 1977, this is one of the largest ethnographic museums in Italy. With over 13,000 objects, it has a policy of preserving the material and immaterial record of the

Read More

Pomposa Abbey

During the 6th and 7th Centuries, a Benedectine settlement was built on the so called Insula Pomposia, a wooded isle surrounded by two stretches of the river and the sea

Read More

Sabbioneta, il museo diffuso

Sabbioneta was created for Duke Vespasiano Gonzaga in the second half of the 16C and is an extraordinary example of a constructed ideal town, 'a dream turned into stone'.
A model

Read More

San Giorgio castle, Mantua

Architect Bartolino of Novara started the construction of this massive building in 1395, on the orders of Francesco Gonzaga.
The castle was a good defence bastion and a symbol of

Read More

San Lorenzo Archaeological Museum


It is the development of the old Archaeological Section of the City Museum, closed at the end of the

Read More

San Lorenzo chapel and parish church

San Lorenzo appears in documents since 1059; the bishop of Reggio Emila assigned it to marquis Boniface, the father of Matilda of Tuscany.
It stood on the road to

Read More