Cultural Heritage

San Lorenzo rotunda, Mantua

By tradition, this is one of the churches built on the orders of Matilda of Tuscany (1046-1115).
Its layout reminds of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, while

Read More

San Michele Church

Down via Gerolamo da Cremona stands the Church of Saint Michael, the most ancient church in Cremona, as it was built in the Lombard period (7th – 8th century), even

Read More

San Pietro Cathedral (Dome), Mantua

The cathedral is dedicated to Saint Peter, whose day is 29 June. Other celebration days are Saint Anselm – which is the city and diocese patron - on 18 March,

Read More

San Pietro Church

Today, the building is a Manneristic reconstruction by Francesco Dattaro (1573-75), with a double-order facade closed by slender marble spires. The tower bell was made higher in 1840 by Luigi

Read More

San Sebastiano Church, Mantua

Ten years before his last Mantuan masterpiece – id est Sant'Andrea basilica -, Leon Battista Alberti designed this church for the Lateran canons, on the orders of marquis Ludovico II

Read More

San Sigismondo Church

Its history, especially as regards the foundation and erection of the existing church, is strictly linked to two important figures: Bianca Maria Visconti and Francesco Sforza. On 25th October 1441,

Read More

Sanctuary of the Fountain

But long before that date, a chapel or a small oratory already existed, where an image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, so-called of the Baths, was venerated.
This rather quaint

Read More

Sant'Ambrogio Church


It is certainly the last great religious building built in Cremona that can be considered a work of art,

Read More

Sant'Ilario Church

The legend tells that the church of Sant'Ilario was built from 1477 to 1668 by the Jesuits, and then by the Augustinian hermit monks who lived in the adjacent cloister

Read More

Santa Chiara Monastic Complex

Outside, the octagonal profile with double arcade of the church, consecrated in 1531, stands out. This building, which was a public church, was annexed to a communicating, rectangular building with

Read More

Santa Margherita Church

It is the summa of the artistic and humanistic interests of Marco Gerolamo Vida from Cremona, bishop of Alba, remarkable figure of the 16th century culture who commissioned the church,

Read More

Santa Maria Assunta parish, Pieve di Coriano

As stated in a XVI century plaque on its façade, they believe that the church was built on the orders of countess Matilda of Tuscany. Actually, it was already there in 980 and it was related to Reggio Emilia diocese

Read More

Santa Maria Magdalena Church

Inside, the presbytery is covered by a graceful umbrella vault and preserves a rare decoration with sprays of leaves and flowers typical of the Late Gothic period, which continues in

Read More

Santo Stefano Cathedral

It is flanked by a slender bell tower (1899). It is characterized by a Greek-cross plan divided into four pillars and one nave and two aisles with apsidal choir, side

Read More

Sant’Andrea basilica, Mantua

It was designed by Leon Battista Alberti, who died in 1472, and built by architect Luca Fancelli, who finished it in 1494

Read More

St. Barbara palatine basilica, Mantua

Architect Giovanni Battista Bertani built the palatine church in a small square inside the enormous ducal palace, on the orders of duke Guglielmo Gonzaga (1550-1587). The building started in 1561

Read More

Stellata Fortress

The Fortress was built around the year 1000 and then widened in 1362 by the noble House of Este

Read More

The Baptistry in Cremona

It was built in 1167 and it is definitely among the most interesting late-gothic, central-plan buildings; as regards its style and chronology, it fits between the Baptistery of Florence and Parma

Read More

The Mill on the Po River

The Mill is a reproduction of one of the mills that were located on the Po River more than one hundred years ago. The Mill is totally integrated with the touristic contest of the area, characterized by the landing place and the equipped quay area

Read More

The house of Blessed Osanna Andreasi, Mantua

The residence of Andreasi noble family is a well preserved remainder of Osanna (1449-1505), the second patron of Mantua, beatified in 1515, who was a lay Dominican and a counsellor

Read More