- Web site
- 0372 495011
- Street and number
- Piazza del Comune
It was built in 1167 and it is definitely among the most interesting late-gothic, central-plan buildings; as regards its style and chronology, it fits between the Baptistery of Florence and Parma.
As it is visible today the Baptistery of Cremona is the result of many repairs that began in the XVI century mostly by Sebastiano Nani and Gabriele e Francesco Dattaro.
The North and West walls were covered with pink natural stone to match the Cathedral’s façade, while the only entrance that was left open (the baptistery originally had three) was adorned with a porch portal resting on bearing lions.
The upper part of the building is ornate with a XVI century open gallery.
At the top of the copper covering on the octagonal structure there is a beautiful lantern bearing the bronze statue of St. Gabriel Archangel.
The extremely neat and bare interior brings out the Altar of Saint Biagio, on the right of the entrance, and to the left the late XVII century Addolorata bertesiana altar, while the central altar bears a large wood crucifix from the XIV century.
Upon request it is possible to visit the floor mosaics at Camposanto dei Canonici.
The upper part of the Baptistery bears an interesting trivia: at the base of one of the spurs there is the engraved shape of the tile and bricks used in Cremona’s building sites, since this little square in the Middle Ages used to host the brick market.