Lodi Cathedral

Phone
0371/420726
Street and number
Lodi, Piazza della Vittoria
City
LODI
Country
ITA

Lodi, the Cathedral The Lodi Cathedral was built together with the city. After the destruction of Laus Pompeia (Lodi Vecchio) by the Milanese in 1158, a new Lodi was built in the same year by will of the people and Frederick I of Swabia, alias Barbarossa. At the top of the Eghezzone hill and on the right bank of river Adda the city was founded together with its cathedral. Among the largest churches of Lombardy, its style is Romanic. Its construction began in 1160 and finished in the XVI century; it was completely refurbished between 1958 and 1965 by the architect Degani. It is worth mentioning the brickwork façade, (asymmetrical due to the bell-tower), the XII century porch with column-bearing lions, the majestic portal with the sculptures portraying “Adam and Eve” and the two Renaissance windows. Above the rose window there is an aedicule housing the statue of the saint patron, Saint Bassiano. It is a bronze copy of the original version made of copper and embossed gold which may be found on the third pillar to the left inside the church. The inside features three naves arranged in an alternate display: the one-span central nave alternates two two-span side naves. The side chapels house very important frescoes, some of which are devoted to the Virgin. 11 wooden intarsia, done in 1523 by Giovanni da Verona, are also remarkable pieces; currently they are located in the choir and portray still lives and ideal cities set in the framework of Brunelleschi-like architecture, they refer to better known examples and document the excellence accomplished by this genre. At the entrance to the crypt there is a bas-relief portraying “the last supper”, probably from Lodi Vecchio and possibly older than the church itself. The crypt guards the relics of San Bassiano. From the cathedral it is possible to access the Sacred Art Diocesan Museum where liturgical objects, paintings, frescoes, fabrics, and sculptures from the cathedral, the bishop’s palace and other parishes are displayed. Among them, there are precious fabrics and jewels that once were part of the cathedral treasure, called the “Treasure of San Bassiano”.

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=/en/resource/poi/poi-265/&src=sdkpreparse
loading